This blog contains affiliate links, to learn more about them Click Here.
DIY Apron! Reversible apron that is easy to make!
Ever since I finished my DIY Craft desk, I have been itching to sew something. I am a total novice at it, but have been wanting to really dive in a learn how to do some things. The one thing I have been wanting to make was an apron. I have a ton of aprons, but they are either short or long or the neck ties are to long, needless to say, none are a perfect fit! So as I was hunting around the craft store I found some fabric that I fell in love with
Because I am new at the whole sewing thing, I opted to do a reversible apron because it seemed like it would be the easiest to do. I chose two fabrics that complimented each other well. I just love the green, grey and black colors of my main fabric!
For this project you will need:
2 yards of fabric (1 yard of each color)
Since I did not have a pattern to work with, I grabbed one of my old aprons and drew out a pattern onto a piece of poster board and cut it out.
***If you want longer neck straps I suggest adding a few inches to your pattern.****
Once my pattern was cut out, I folded on piece of fabric in half and pinned my pattern to it. Be sure to align the folded side of the fabric to the long end of the pattern, that way when you cut it out you have a full apron piece. I repeated this process with the second fabric.
Using the scraps of fabric, I cut out 2 strips of fabric for the neck ties and another 2 pieces for the back ties (see photo above for lengths). I folded each strip of fabric in half so that the printed sides were facing each other and ironed them flat.
I than finally got to sewing! I started with sewing the straps along the long end and one short end. Once all of the straps were sewn, I turned them right side out and ironed them flat again.
After the straps were ready, I placed my two main pieces of fabric together, good side facing in. I than placed my straps in between the main fabric and pinned everything into place. I also pinned the straps into place so they didn’t end up getting sewn somewhere they were not suppose to be.
I sewed around the entire apron with the exception of the bottom hem so that it could be easily turned right side out.
Once sewing was completed, I turned the apron right side out and than folded the bottom hem in and sewed it shut.
This project took me about 25 minutes to do, and for having NO sewing experience what so ever I am pretty darn proud of the finished project! I will be making some more this week for the kiddos since I can never find any that they like and that fit.