This post may contain affiliate links, to learn more about them, check out our Disclosure.
I don’t know about you, but I HATE clutter. I just can not get anything done when I feel like there is to much stuff. And let me tell you, my craft room/office was just that… CLUTTERED! Between unfinished projects, a homeless sewing maching and my photo studio, there was just too much to deal with. Nevermind that I was using a coffee table as a craft table, and you can only imagine how my back felt after a day of leaning over that thing!
I feel better when everything has a place, and I love my coffee table, but it just was not working for me any longer. I couldn’t bare parting with it, so I decided to incorporate it into my new DIY craft desk so that I could have some extra storage, and my kids could still use it as a craft desk. After searching for a desk that would fit my needs, I found this beauty but could not foresee myself spending that much, plus I feared it may be too small. So, I decided I was going to build my own and any reason to use power tools is a plus!
What I used:
(2) Closetmaid 9-Cube Organizers that I picked up on sale for $30 each
(2) 2x4x8 pieces of lumber that I had on hand already
(1) 5/8 thick piece of plywood cut down to 40in wide by 62in long (my local hardware store cut it for me)
2 1/2 wood screws that I had on hand already
1 1/3 wood screws that I had on hand already
White Paint that I had on hand already
4 yards of fabric that I had on hand already
First I put my two 9-cube organizers together and placed them on each side of my existing coffee table.
I than cut my two 2×4 pieces of lumber to size and secured them to the organizer by screwing them in from the inside of the organizer.
Next, I used the 2 1/2 screws to secure a center support so that the top did not end up bowing in from use.
After everything was secure, I placed my plywood top on. If you can find a melamine coated piece large enough, I recommend using it so that you do not have to paint. My local store did not have any large enough for my project though.
I secured the top by screwing in 1 1/3 screws from the underside of the organizers. I than finished off the top with 2 coats of enamel paint.
To finish it off, I used some fabric I had laying around to give it a skirt on the two open ends.
Now everything has a home, and I can display some of my dishes I use for food photography instead of having them tucked away in a corner! I am super happy with the way it turned out, and now I can not wait to get crafting again!
I think Eclipse our cat is happy for a nice new hideout as well.