This post may contain affiliate links, to learn more about them, check out our Disclosure.
Triple Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
I have admitted to my chocolate addiction, and that is the first step in facing an addiction. But, these Triple Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls threw me right back into my addiction and I am perfectly okay with that. I have never understood how cinnamon rolls are classified as a breakfast food. They are super sweet and yummy, don’t get me wrong, but when I think of breakfast I think of something hardy like bacon and eggs. Unlike my oh so sweet Hubby who believes that if you put the word breakfast before something it makes it breakfast. Like breakfast cake and breakfast candy. No joke people…
So to satisfy his ever growing sweet tooth I took to Pinterest (of course, where else would I go?). I came across this recipe from Chef in Training for Cake Batter Cinnamon rolls. They looked amazing, but I knew the first thing Hubby would ask is “where is the chocolate”? So I opted to change it up a bit and do a chocolate version. These could easily be a breakfast or dessert in my opinion. And if there is a way to justify eating chocolate for breakfast I am all for it!
|Prep Time||210 minutes|
|Cook Time||16 minutes|
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast
- 2 cups ½warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup chocolate cake mix
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee
- 9 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 1/2 cups of warm water. Add in yeast and allow to proof (let it get foamy and bubbly).
- Once yeast is ready, using your dough hook attachment, add in cake mix, vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
- Combine instant coffee and bread flour together and add it to the mixer. Mix until dough has come together. Try to avoid over kneading the dough if at all possible.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl sprayed with no stick cooking spray and toss dough to coat (this prevents the dough from drying out). Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for one hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Once dough has doubled in size, punch down and allow to rise for an additional hour.
- After second rise, turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Roll into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Take the butter for the filling and smear across the dough.
- Combine 1 cup of cake mix with 1 tbsp of instant coffee for the filling and sprinkle on top of butter.
- Dust with as much or as little cinnamon as you would like.
- Taking the longer side of the triangle, carefully roll dough into a long log. Slice into 1 inch rolls and place into a well greased 9x13 pan (you will need two of these pans).
- Allow rolls to rise one final last time for 1 hour.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
- While rolls are baking prepare your chocolate topping. In a small sauce pan heat heavy cream until it reaches boiling and remove from heat. Do not let it come to a full rolling boil. Mix is chocolate chips and completely melted.
- Pour chocolate topping over warm rolls and serve.
Oh my goodness this looks amazing! I especially love the chocolate syrup 🙂
Bobbi - 3GLOL says
Holy cow! These must be sweeeee-eet! They look dangerous!
Thanks for sharing!
Triple Chocolate anything is triple delightful – and at breakfast with cinnamon rolls – what a way to start the day!
Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home says
Simply Suzannes at Home
Oh my heavens! Triple chocolate cinnamon rolls! YUM!
Thinking I might need to add this to my ‘to do list’ this weekend ;0)
Thanks so much for sharing!
Have a great week,
Wow these look decadent and oh so good. Thanks for sharing at Great Idea Thursdays this is being featured.
Fellow chocolate addict here. 🙂 These look so gooey and yummy and chocolate-y! Thanks for linking up at the Bloggers brags Party last week. Hope to see some more yumminess from you soon!
DearCreatives (@DearCreatives) says
Oh my, sinful! I bet these are yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe and post @DearCreatives Theresa
These look amazing ( and dangerous!) . I’m featuring when my link party opens up tonight.
Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate – looks delicious!
Kate F. says
I’ve never had chocolate cinnamon rolls. These sound so good!